Trendsetter: ’90s denim adds flair to any look

Photo by Brooke Cagle from Unsplash

Dana Shugrue, Online Editor

After countless fads have gone in and out of style over the past 20 years, people are finally returning to their roots: ‘90s denim. From acid washed denim jackets to mom jeans, there are many styles that are back with a vengeance. That’s right, the characters of “Saved By the Bell” actually had a sense of style.

During the warmer and colder months, overalls are always an easy outfit. Students wear different overall styles around campus. Shorter styles are perfect for spring and summer, while pant overalls complete any fall outfit. Throw on a pair of combat boots and a sweater underneath, and the ensemble is good to go.

Another common ‘90s denim trend is mom jeans. While skinny jeans are still a go-to for many people, mom jeans are slowly starting to take over. Their relaxed, looser fit has won over many this past year. Unsure about their increasing popularity? Head to the mall or check out an American Eagle jeans catalog, you’ll see what we mean.

For brisker days, channel ‘90s vibes with a denim jacket. Available in a variety of different washes, jean jackets are appealing to light and dark denim-lovers alike. To pull off an ultra ‘90s vibe, go for an acid wash. Channel your inner Zach Morris or Kelly Kapowski.

Pants are unavoidable in the winter, and regular jeans simply aren’t enough sometimes. Upgrade ordinary denim by bedazzling or adding embroidery. This trend has been on the rise for a few years now, but credit must be given where it’s due — the ‘90s had it first.

Want a more feminine denim look? Throw on a jean skirt. After being slighted over the years, denim skirts are once again receiving the attention they deserve. Not only are they stylish, but they add flare to virtually any outfit. Check out Lisa Marie Turtle’s outfits  on “Saved By the Bell” for further proof.

Some trends don’t go out of style for good, and ‘90s denim is one of them. But really, how did people go 20 years without wearing mom jeans? The world may never know. It’s safe to say that 2019 fashion was saved by the ‘90s.