Readin with Rachel: An Exploration in the Arts

Rachel Scully, Arts & Life Editor

At our age, it can be extremely difficult to get inspired. The exhausting hours studying and the long days of class can take a toll on your mental health. After a long day at work, why would anyone want to go from one task to another? Why would we work on something that doesn’t have a due date? Well, exploring something you are passionate about is crucial, even if it takes some work.

Personally, I have always had a passion for the arts. I love the paint strokes on a canvas, the effervescence of jazz music and, of course, words to paper. Art can show so much emotion, happy or sad, which is what makes it so amazing to me. Blues music can show pain, Salvador Dali’s photos show the carefree spirit and a play can truly exhibit a story.

Recently, I found myself rekindling a passion that I once had, which is photography. I would go to weddings with my photography teacher and help take pictures. Capturing a moment, especially with people, is such a magical gift. Whether it be a person’s smile as they are laughing, the crinkles in their nose as they make a silly face or a candid moment of bliss as they relax, each one is completely unique.

What really pushed me to further my exploration was a friend of mine, Erik. He is currently a member of the United States Air Force stationed in Italy. He came up with a wonderful idea to take a polaroid picture every day for a month, then at the end of the month, send each other the pictures. After talking it over, we decided to set some stakes. Our mutual friend, Alysa, will give us points based on each photo and whoever loses has to sing a song at a karaoke bar. It definitely induced some incentive to take the best photos I possibly can!

This little polaroid challenge is much more than just a competition between two friends. It has revitalized my love for photography. I remembered how I would enjoy each moment life had to offer, not to mention deepening my friendship with Erik. The inspiration a tiny challenge gave me is such a gift. Every day I get a little burst of excitement because it is a new day. There were days before where that wasn’t the case, but now it is. Photography has given me something to look forward to every day, even if it is just a photo of the day.

I urge students to find their inspiration, which doesn’t even have to be specifically art. Read a book every week, make a meal for friends on a Saturday night or even write in a diary every night. These little things are what push us, as students, to continue working hard. Finding something for me has helped me stand a little taller, smile a little brighter and even push me to go out more. Taking a moment to enjoy yourself can be so much more than a moment.