Editorial: Cherish Your Democracy

Editorial Staff

It should not be surprising that our staff is incredibly supportive of those who get involved in the democratic process. Just recently, enthusiasm for our democracy was powerfully illustrated by the newest ranks of impassioned young Americans who marched for an issue they care deeply about, empowered by a faith in the democratic process. On Friday, March 15, 1.4 million high school students around the world walked out in support of action to address climate change. Considering that the work we publish is dependent on the legitimacy and support of the First Amendment, we encourage all to be active in supporting our democracy. It is imperative every individual contributes to the discourse that shapes our government’s actions, regardless of their background, skin color or creed.

The global strike demonstrates that climate change is not a discriminating issue. On Friday, it activated thousands of individuals from every corner of the world to march in support of their freedoms, even if it is the freedom of a clean environment. Diego Delgado, a high school student from Puerto Rico who attends the Bronx Academy, told Amy Goodman from Democracy Now that he “wanted to show support for the rest of the Caribbean, because it’s a very low-lying area that needs to have support put onto it, because the oceans are rising very quickly.” Other participating students expressed similar concerns about the consequences of government inaction. Delgado is just one of many students who are participating in the democratic process for the first time, but one can admit there is still not enough participation by the youngest generation of Americans.

The 2018 midterm election showed promise of greater interest by younger Americans in voting. According to The Atlantic, early voting of Americans between ages 18 and 29 surged 188 percent from the total votes cast by the same age group in the 2014 midterm election. This large increase is hopefully an indication of greater voter enthusiasm among the youngest generation of American adults.

One should not take lightly the civic responsibility to address the issues that face our collective future. Most importantly, one so engaged should attempt to bring awareness to these issues, similar to the high school students who are bringing great attention to the issue of climate change. Simply, a democracy is only as effective as it is cherished by its citizens.

– The Editorial Staff