Leadership is…

Nicole Spindler, Business & Finance Editor

Two weekends ago, I had the opportunity to participate in a group representing John Carroll called the Collegiate Leadership Competition, which was founded four years ago.
Based on concepts and terms created by Scott Allen, Ph.D., for the class MHR 395: Leadership Development, the weekend enabled myself, my team and other teams across our region to compete in six activities to apply our mastered leadership concepts and practical skills, such as decision-making, problem solving and communication skills.
I walked away from this competition realizing how critical it is to acquire leadership skills, especially in the eyes of recruiters and potential employers who were the judges for the competition.
When applying for internships and interviews, the phrase “describe/demonstrate leadership abilities and experience” is often used.
While having experiences to talk about regarding leadership is great to have on our resumes, employers are seeking the best qualities when it comes to hiring someone for leadership positions.
In conjunction with the CLC Competition, here are some leadership qualities employers seek: motivating others, driving results, showing initiative, adapting to change, inspiring ideas, standing by decisions, communicating well and persevering under pressure and stress.
These qualities were evident during the competition when we received feedback on our results.
Leadership is not about being the most popular student in your class or grade, nor is it about being outgoing, social and most liked. Leadership is the process of influencing others towards a common vision, which you learn in MHR 395. Any experience someone has as a leader should be showcased beyond what is on a resume.
During interviews, behavioral-based questions are always asked to allow the applicant to describe a situation, experience or example. This is a great time to discuss your leadership abilities.
It was evident at the competition and throughout the semester taking this course that leadership is unique to each individual, making someone’s leadership skills their own personal brand. Leadership skills are acquired by someone playing to their strengths, while working with their weaknesses.
Having experience leading a team will serve me well for the future because I love that not only can I lead, but I can also work collaboratively in a team, especially during difficult, mind-bending challenges.
Don’t ever shy away from an opportunity to lead, as it can have a greater impact on more people than you know. You don’t need to be a MHR major or leadership minor to be able to learn about leadership. Because of this course content, I have been able to apply all the CLC Concepts & Terms to my daily life and increase my awareness of the impact I have through my leadership roles.