Senioritis is Alive and Well

Mariella van der Sluijs, Op/Ed Editor

My time here at John Carroll University has almost come to an end. After four years of classes in a variety of departments (thanks, integrative core), a multitude of extracurriculars, an abundance of internships and a lifetime of memories, I will leave these halls come May and not look back (for a while). Although many seniors may already be feeling nostalgic for those good ol’ John Carroll days, I for one cannot wait to start missing them. See, as of right now, I have been diagnosed with a disease unlike any other: senioritis. Unfortunately, there is only one cure: graduation. And until then, well… we will see.

When one is diagnosed with senioritis, every class seems like a complete dread. One constantly asks the question: do I really need this course? Although the answer is obviously yes — I mean, those 120 credit hours and major requirements must be met — it can be a daunting task to convince someone with senioritis otherwise. Although I am proud to announce that I have not missed any of my classes so far this semester (I am not much of a skipper anyways), I am unsure what my record will be for the rest of the year.

Beside the lack of motivation during one’s final semester, there is also the crippling stress factor of finding a job post-graduation. I cannot tell you how many people have asked me the same question over and over again: “So, what are you going to do after graduation?” The answer: work. “Well, where are you going to work?” I wish I knew, I wish I knew.

Finding the first job post-graduation can be an overwhelming and nerve wracking task. Most likely, the only experience one has related to one’s future line of work is an internship. How does one translate that internship experience and make it worthwhile for a company to take a leap of faith? Moreover, one is faced with the task of figuring out one’s worth. How will I know how much I should expect to get paid when I have never had a salary? I do not wish to sell myself short, yet I do not want to outprice myself of the competition. It is times like these when I wish I could rewind my life three years back and not have to worry about this or fast-forward it three years and have everything figured out (maybe not three years, my visa will be expired…).

Although I know that senioritis is just a temporary glitch within the system (also known as my life), from time to time it seems like forever. Senioritis is the final obstacle in almost every college career, and I know that I will get where I need to be just like everyone else. For now, when you spot the occasional sluggish senior, acknowledge their position and maybe do not ask them about their future plans. Trust me, they will let you know when they get a job. Your LinkedIn feed will be flooded with “I am proud to announce…” posts within the next semester.

Although we continue to learn as we spread our wings into the world after graduation, I know that senioritis and the luxury of taking my time to do tasks while enjoying life with close friends, is quite a blessing in disguise. As for now, just let me complain and happily reminisce this time next year. As we say at John Carroll, Onward On.