Profiles of senior Beaudry Award finalists

All photos courtesy of Campus Ministry

Megan Grantham, Campus Editor

Angela Aviquivil is a psychology major on the child and family studies track. Upon graduation, she will be completing her master’s degree through JCU’s counseling program on the clinical mental health counseling track. She has been involved on campus as an orientation leader for the past two years, and as a resident assistant, where she was awarded the Outstanding Student Leader Award in 2018. Since 2018, she has served as the immersion intern for Campus Ministry. Angela has participated in and led multiple retreats and immersions, including a trip to Montgomery, Alabama. She has also made the Dean’s list for multiple semesters.

Emilie Christie was a January 2019 graduate in biology and neuroscience, with a minor in Spanish and Hispanic Studies. She graduated summa cum laude with both Arrupe and Honors designations. She has led student groups with the Center for Service and Social Action, held a chair position within the Arrupe Scholars and held positions with the Pre-Health Society and Students for Social Justice. She has participated in two immersion trips and several retreats, including Manresa 34 and the 2017 Honduras Immersion. She currently works as a research technician at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner Research Institute Department of Neurosciences and is applying to medical school.

Nick Colby has participated in and led several immersions and retreats, including the January 2018 immersion trip to Jamaica and the Manresa 36 retreat. Nick was also a member of the track and field team, where he acquired All-OAC and All-American Honors. He is a member of both the Leadership Scholars and Honors Programs. He has been on the Dean’s list for seven consecutive semesters. Nick has participated in two weekly service programs through the Center for Service and Social Action, and completed an internship with St. Clair Superior Development Corporation, a non-profit organization in Cleveland. Upon graduation, Nick will be attending the Ohio State University Physical Therapy School.

Sean Freeman is a communication major with a digital media concentation and has minors in business, political science and peace, justice, & human rights. He has served on the Student Organizations Budget Board, been a member of the Center for Service and Social Action Student Leadership Team and a sports captain for the Sports Information Department, among other leadership roles. He has shown his commitment to Christian values through his participation and leadership in several immersions and retreats, including Manresa 32 and 38, and an immersion trip to Immokalee, Florida and the US-Mexico Border. Sean has been a member of the Dean’s List for four semesters.

Caitlin Matthews is a sociology/criminology major on the human service, health and social justice track, and has a double minor in political science and peace, justice & human rights. Upon graduation, she will be doing a year of service with the Jesuit Volunteer Corps. She has served as a Student Liason in the Center for Service and Social Action. Caitlin is also involved as an Arrupe Scholar, where she served as chair for the Fatima Family Food Drive, and is a campus tour guide. She has attended and led several immersionsand retreats, including Manresa 37 and a trip to the U.S.-Mexico Border. Caitlin has made the Dean’s List every semester.

Anna Masica is a marketing major with a double minor in entrepreneurship and peace, justice & human rights. She is currently a finalist for the Venture for America Fellowship, and is looking to pursue a job in marketing and advertising upon graduation. She has participated in three immersion experiences to Guatemala, Nicaragua and led a trip to Cuba. Anna also attended and led many retreats. She interned for three years at Ignatian Solidarity Network, where she was able to help work toward justice in the world. She is involved in her sorority, Gamma Phi Beta, and has held leaderhip positions there as well as on the Panhellenic Executive Board. Anna is also a tour guide and member of the Arrupe Scholars program.