The news that keeps us Onward On!

The news that keeps us Onward On!
Since 1925
The news that keeps us Onward On!

The news that keeps us Onward On!

Follow our Twitter
Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Blue Streaks on spring break

What are fellow students up to?
Carol E. Highgate
DormRoomMovers.com, March 3, 2023

On Feb. 26, the warmest day of 2024 so far, you could feel that spring was on its way. Though far from the freshly sunny University Heights, on Feb. 2, Punxsutawney Phil in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, predicted an early end to the winter. Seemingly inspired by the weather, several students were interviewed about their plans for the break, indicating they were springing into the end of the semester and trying to get more work done. With that said though, where are Blue Streaks going? And what will they be up to on spring break? 

Working for the Week Off

Several students indicated that they would be taking their break to push forward and get their unfinished work done. Sophia Wohlwend ‘25 mentioned that she would start her training for an internship at the Bellefaire JCB, one of the nation’s largest childcare resource companies. 

“As a psychology major who absolutely loves working with children, I’m so thankful and overjoyed for the opportunity. I can use my knowledge, time, efforts and real personal calling to already start helping kids and teens through the mental health field,” expressed Wohlwend. 

Joseph Melchioris ‘24 expressed a similar enthusiasm, mentioning he was excited for the second round of interviews he had planned.

“I feel I really have these interviews in the bag,” Melchioris said, as he’s working to find the best job for him at John Carroll comes to a close. 

Sarah Foster ‘25 decided to mix work and pleasure and indicated she would be traveling to Chicago with family and friends, as she looks forward to touring the University of Chicago Law School, as well as Northwestern University’s School of Law. 

“I’m excited to use my spring break to take a step ahead in my law school search and to celebrate my birthday with the people I care about.”

Sydnie Oakleaf ‘25, vice president of the John Carroll Speech and Debate Team, noted that the team will be attending the Phi Kappa Delta (PKD) Speech and Debate tournament in Arizona at the end of their break and that they are looking forward to both the competition and the comfortable weather.  

Carroll On Vacation

Though most people indicated they were taking smaller, relaxing breaks at home, or working through them, some people did say they had some fun plans for spring break. 

Stephen Dirksmeier ‘25 decided to break tradition from the wild beaches of Florida and head to the great white north.

“Over break, my friends and I are heading up to Buffalo, Niagara Falls and then Toronto. The idea is we’ll see some great places on the cheap since our dollars are worth about 50 cents more in Canada, plus everyone will be able to go to the casinos and the bars too. We’re looking forward to a good time.” 

Aidan Hulseman ‘25 mentioned a similar rationale as he prepares to travel to Italy.

“I’m stoked! I’m bummed out for some of my friends who had their trip canceled, but Florence, Tuscany and Rome will be so much fun.” Aidan mentioned as well “He’s never been so excited for a plate of pasta.”

In the end, no matter if you are relaxing with family, celebrating with friends, grinding out work, or anything in between, some students are trying to make the most of their breaks, to enjoy them, profit from them, or relax and prepare for the end of the semester.