How Loud Is Too Loud?

Photo from Pixabay.

Editorial Staff

The city of University Heights altered its noise policy for residents on Feb. 20 without sending a formal statement out to the community. Law enforcement officials will no longer issue warnings for noise complaints. Instead, violators will automatically be charged with a second degree misdemeanor, which entails a $750 fine and up to 90 days in jail.

John Carroll students are outraged by this unjust ordinance and have not been shy in voicing their opinions. Many students who live off-campus are working to express their dissatisfaction about this new policy by writing a resolution to the city council, which will be presented at this week’s student government meeting. 

We support their actions, as this new policy is directly targeting John Carroll students. The ordinance states: “No person shall disturb the good order and quiet of the City by clamors or noises.” But what constitutes a “clamor or noise”? We assume that law enforcement officials will be more keen to cite the Friday-night fraternity parties than the Saturday-afternoon family barbeques. If a hefty fine and the possibility of jail time are in question, then the murky wording of this ordinance must be clarified. 

We also believe that the extreme consequences of this violation warrant a warning. If a smaller fine were issued, then the ordinance would seem more reasonable. However, $750 is a financial burden, especially to college students who are likely in debt already. 

So, what does this revised ordinance mean for JCU students? No warnings. No slaps on the wrists. And no clear reasoning behind these extreme policy changes, which target students who call University Heights their home.