John Carroll Ranked No. 2 in Best Regional Universities

Photo by Ray Flannery

Rachel Scully, Campus Editor

John Carroll University ranked No. 2 among the 2021 Best Regional Universities in the Midwest, an honor that the university also received in 2020, according to the magazine U.S. News & World Report.

“We are grateful to once again receive this honor as a top institution in the Midwest, particularly during these difficult times,” President Michael Johnson said in a University press release. “Our Blue Streak community can take pride in knowing that our mission of inspiring individuals to excel in learning, leadership and service in the region and in the world continues to be recognized.”

The University ranked strongly in the Midwest in other categories as well, including No. 1 in Best College for Veterans, No. 3 in Best Undergraduate Teaching and No. 6 in Most Innovative Schools.

“I’m not surprised at John Carroll’s ranking given the tenacity for success that is instilled in the student population,” John Carroll alum Casey Bednarski told The Carroll News. “While I was at JCU, I definitely felt like everyone around me was so full of passion, and I think that’s a strong testament to the environment that the school fosters.”

Many current John Carroll students were also pleased with the news, however, some still strive to improve the university’s ranking. 

“When I saw the email, my first thought was ‘Who was No. 1 and what are they offering that we are not?’” senior David Prots said. “How can JCU better themselves as a college and a community so that we can be No. 1?”

The U.S. News & World Report college rankings, now in their 36th year, use 17 measures of academic quality, including graduation rate and performance, undergraduate academic reputation, graduation indebtedness and more. 

John Carroll was also nationally recognized, being ranked No. 24 in Service Learning and No. 157 in Undergraduate Business.