JCU Police Department Adapts to Campus Life Amidst COVID-19 Pandemic

Photo by Rachel Scully

Sydni Bratthauar, The Carroll News

John Carroll University Police Department has remained on campus despite the COVID-19 closures. With the limited campus activity, some have asked what they have been doing to keep busy.

Brian Hurd, the director and chief of JCUPD, explained that officers have been regularly checking buildings to make sure they’re safe and secure. JCUPD has reached out to students living off-campus in University Heights and neighboring homes, encouraging them to follow state mandated social distancing practices and review COVID-19 safety expectations.

The police department also had officers complete a lot of online training in other areas such as Crisis Conflict Management, Policing Cultural Diverse Communities and Deescalating Mental Health Crisis.

The officers have also completed two other training courses: Campus Protection Officer certification and Ohio Threat Assessment certification.

The day-to-day hasn’t changed much since COVID-19 struck. “We do much of the same as we always do: patrolling buildings and lots, opening and closing buildings, investigating off-campus behavior and granting access to buildings and rooms for faculty, staff and contractors,” Hurd explained.

JCUPD has conducted contract tracing with local students who have tested positive or who have had close contact with someone who’s tested positive for COVID-19.

He added, “Of course, we don’t have to worry about parking or campus events, as we don’t have resident students on campus. It is definitely much quieter.”

JCUPD has also been preparing for the possibility of an in-person spring semester: they have reworked their operation policies to be COVID-19 safe, including conducting interviews, responding to medical calls and even the lost and found. Hurd also said, “We are coordinating with Athletics, Residence Life, Facilities, Housekeeping, Risk Management, Dean of Students, Student Health and others in supporting and planning for a safe return.” 

They have a supply of personal protection equipment and cleaning supplies on hand for routine protocols and emergency responses. JCUPD is also working with JCU’s Emergency Medical Services to make sure their response protocols are up to date, which they are.

JCUPD can be reached at their non-emergency line at 216-397-4600. For more information, visit their website here.