There’s still time to sign up for the Women’s Wellness Clinic

Limited Spots Available

Photo by Rachel Scully

Nicolette Noce, Campus Editor

A free, one-day Women’s Wellness Clinic will be available to John Carroll University students on Oct. 13 through the Student Health and Wellness Center. There are still a few spots left so call 216.397.4349 to schedule your appointment and receive informational paperwork via email to be filled out prior to your appointment. 

This clinic will provide a wide array of women’s services and is offered through the Cuyahoga Board of Health. Students with questions or concerns about gynecological needs, breast exams, PAP testing and screening for sexually transmitted diseases will be able to talk with a professional to receive necessary healthcare.

With concern for COVID-19, Director of the Student Health Center Janet Krevh said, the clinic is working to minimize face-to-face contact. Virtual telehealth visits will be scheduled for Thursday, Oct 8. Upon examination, the practitioner will advise patients if they need an in-person visit and if so, appointments will be made for Oct. 13. 

Those who need in-person exams will be screened for COVID-19 upon entrance and then seen by a physician at their scheduled time on Oct. 13. Appointments will be held in the Student Health and Wellness Center, located in the lower level of Murphy Hall. 

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, women are at higher risk than men for contracting STDs. Women are also less likely than men to have noticeable symptoms of common STDS like chlamydia and gonorrhea. The CDC recommends that sexually active women should be tested at least once every year.

The Women’s Wellness Clinic has been an annual health resource on JCU’s campus since 2018. Krevh explained that the services are free for most students. “Yes, the services are covered under Title X, which covers health services for low income or uninsured individuals. The clinic asks for your insurance information, if you have insurance, to help supplement the cost of routine well women’s tests.” 

She explained that those who do have insurance are asked to provide this information, but are not required to. “This helps sustain costs of the many free services provided by the Cuyahoga County Board of Health Clinic, which provides this service to our university.” 

In an attempt to offer healthcare to all who need it, Krevh says every woman of John Carroll University is welcome to use these services, and as long as there is a availability, no one will be turned away. “This free service focuses on the importance of health-related issues and conditions specifically related to women,” Krevh said. 

Health-related expenses can be financially strenuous for many individuals, and this service allows the women of JCU to get their health needs met for little to no cost.