JCU student hosts weekly meditation over zoom

Graduate student Theresa Schmidt hosts “Come to the Quiet” to offer relaxation during times of stress.

Studies show meditation improves students’ academic performance. (Photo by JD Mason on Unsplash)

Ann Walsh, Staff Reporter

Without the pause that Fall Break usually allows for students, it may become more difficult to prevent burnout. Days may become more exhausting as a result of online learning. Luckily, there are plenty of ways that students can get the relaxation they may need to perform at their very best. 

According to a study published in College Student Journal, meditation has been known to have positive effects on students’ academic performance and achievements as well as mental health,indicating that taking time for oneself can result in the improvement of the whole person. 

To ensure that students take care of themselves, graduate student Theresa Schmidt hosts “Come to the Quiet,” an online 30-minute meditation every Thursday for all students to relax and forget about their worries.“After I attended a virtual meditation session through Fordham University in early September, I decided to give it a try here at John Carroll. I figured, best-case scenario, I’d be able to build an online community and inspire others to take a little time for themselves once a week to just breathe,” said Schmidt.

Before she logs onto “Come to the Quiet,” Schmidt said her mind is very active and running in many different directions. But when she closes her eyes and focuses on her breathing, she begins to feel calm. When it comes time for the awakening stretches, she feels even more energized and refreshed than before. 

Even though Schmidt offers this session for 30 minutes, she welcomes anyone that can pop in for 15 or even 5 minutes. Students can take whatever amount of time they need to relax and focus on self care.

Schmidt wants students to have a community to rely on, even if it is through an online platform. Schmidt emphasized that meditation can be for everyone. 

“There’s all sorts of creative ways to practice meditation, whether it’s incorporating faith/religion, exercise, nature, etc. Together we can find a method that brings you peace.”

Since this session is held virtually, participants can meditate in nature, their living room or even their car. Schmidt recommends not meditating from a comfortable location, like a bed,  because a change in location helps differentiate where you sleep and where you work. She added that participants can keep their cameras off if they feel more comfortable. She wants students to be as comfortable as possible, so they can gain an enriching experience.

“I’m not an expert meditator or probably someone you’d typically think of as ‘zen-like’ if you met me on the street. Meditation is as much for the extroverts as it is for the introverts, and it is something that can be beneficial for all types of people.”

To attend “Come to the Quiet,” each Thursday from 3-3:30 follow this link and contact [email protected] with any questions. This is a Campus Ministry event. For more events like this one, check the speedbumps email or follow Campus Ministry on Instagram.