Student Health and Wellness Center offers virtual appointments with nutritionist

“This is another way to connect to the school and another benefit of coming to JCU.”

Nutritionist Shannon Stovsky will work with students virtually to better their health. (Photo by Vitalii Pavlyshynets on Unsplash)

Nicolette Noce, Campus Editor

The Student Health and Wellness Center is offering students the opportunity to meet with a nutritionist to discuss nutrition, diet and health. Shannon Stovsky, is a registered nutritionist and licensed dietitian who has been working as a contracted JCU nutritionist for the last two years. She will be meeting virtually with students on Oct. 29 from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. to discuss weight management techniques, dieting, eating and dietary concerns. 

Very Well Health says Nutritionists are specialists in food consumption and the nutritional value of food. They advise which foods to consume depending on the individual’s end goals. Nutritionists can also help people create a dietary plan. 

According to Healthline, dietitians are certified in the science of food and the impact food has on human health. 

JCU has been offering personalized nutritionist meetings with students for the last 20 years. Jan Krevh, director of the Student Health Center told The Carroll News that nutritionist meetings are typically offered 2-3 times per month, but with COVID-19 changing campus norms, the Student Health Center has not been able to offer meetings this semester, until now. 

Krevh says, “I have never had a negative response, she [Shannon] covers a wide range and she  gives helpful hints” For example, “International students who need help navigating the dining hall, she’ll help them find things they like. She also helps students gain or lose weight depending on their needs. She’s a guide.”

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, “Dietitians and nutritionists are experts in the use of food and nutrition to promote health and manage disease. They advise people on what to eat in order to lead a healthy lifestyle or achieve a specific health-related goal.” Nutritionists and dietitians can also be great resources for those struggling with other health-related issues, such as eating disorders. 

The food we consume can play a key role in the other ailments our bodies are facing. According to Today’s Dietitian, “Studies suggest that simple dietary changes may help reduce the frequency and severity of acne breakouts.” 

“This is another way to connect to the school and another benefit of coming to JCU” said Krevh.

Having access to a nutritionist is a resource for students who want to learn more or change their lifestyle. This is also a helpful resource for athletes who are trying to stay in shape. Krevh said, “Sometimes, she [Shannon] will talk to athletes if they ask for that.”

If you want to learn more about nutrition, call the Student Health and Wellness Center at 216.397.4349 to schedule a virtual meeting with Stovsky this Thursday, Oct. 29.