Meet JCU Nutritionist Sharron Stovsky

Photo by Dan Gold on Unsplash

Nicolette Noce, Campus Editor

JCU Nutritionist, Shannon Stovsky will be returning to JCU on Friday, Nov. 6 to virtually meet with students for a second time this semester. Stovsky has been a licensed nutritionist for the last 25 years. She has worked in hospitals and nanny schools, teaching students how to implement nutrition as caregivers. She has also written two cookbooks and has been working as the contracted JCU nutritionist for the last two years. 

Stovsky explained that she works to help students achieve the goals they set together. Oftentimes the people she works with will feel ashamed or embarrassed to tell her what they eat or about their diet. Stovsky said, “The first step of success is realizing you need the help.”

Creating a balance is the most important aspect to any diet,and people should strive for “moderation not deprivation,” Stovsky said. “All foods can fit into a healthy diet” is one of her mottos.

By listening to people’s needs and goals, Stovsky helps them make changes to their lifestyle, such as adjusting their calorie or fluid intake and amount of daily exercise. 

When students come to Stovsky for help, she often works with them by setting three or four goals at the initial visit. Stovsky encourages the student to achieve these goals gradually, rather than implementing them all at once. She explained that students often set goals and then immediately try to accomplish all of them, which can be nearly impossible and therefore discouraging.. By focusing on one goal at a time, students are often more successful. 

Stovsky warned students about fad diets, such as the keto diet. “Fad diets promise results,” Stovsky told The Carroll News. “But you are eliminating key food groups.” She explained that these diets can be very unhealthy and unreliable. 

Stovsky explained a phenomenon she called “the influencer effect,” in which people compare themselves to idealistic images of celebrities they see on social media. Stovsky explained how this effect can negatively impact nutritional intake in an attempt to mimic the ideal.

When asked how students can maintain healthy eating patterns in the midst of busy schedules and stress, Stovsky said, “Don’t throw out the baby with the bathwater.” She encouraged people to stick to healthy eating patterns as much as possible even when life becomes hectic. She encourages students to get enough liquids, fruits, veggies, protein and fiber. 

Stovsky emphasized that students should not let school stress throw them off completely. While eating late at night is okay once in a while, late night food deliveries should not become a habit. “Stick to your healthy plan,” Stovsky said. “Find time to take care of yourself. “ 

Stovsky believes that helping young people create good habits now will enable them to be successful later. All members of the JCU community are welcome to make an appointment with Stovsky. She is on campus several times a month and handles everything from minor questions to serious eating concerns. She encourages all students to take advantage of this resource. 

Stovsky will be virtually meeting with students by appointment  from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m on Nov. 6. To make an appointment, call the Student Health and Wellness Center at 216-397-4349.