Mid-Major a major success for JCU men’s track and field

Back to Article
Back to Article

The John Carroll men’s track and field team fared well at the Mid-Major Invitational that was held at Youngstown State.

JCU Sports Information

JCU Sports Information

JCU Sports Information

Anna Meyer, Staff Reporter

It was a busy weekend for JCU’s men’s track and field team, ranked third in the region, as they split up the squads and competed in two unscored meets.

Half of the team traveled to Youngstown State on Jan. 1 and Jan. 2 for the Mid-Major Invitational, while the other half on competed in the Jim Wuske Invitational at Mount Union, which took place on Jan. 2.

The Blue Streaks were off to a flying start at the Mid-Major Invitational when junior Hayden Snow took first place in the long jump with 7.35 meters. Snow broke his personal school record with that mark. He is ranked second in Division-III for the long jump this season.

Outstanding senior Kyle Monahan had the opportunity to run against many Division-I athletes in the 5,000-meter race, and he  snatched the first place honors, finishing with a time of 15:08.8. Freshman Ian Pierson took 12th out of the 33 competitors.

Continuing the success for the day, sophomore Bobby Fogle broke his personal record in the 500-meter race and took fourth place. Following Fogle was senior John Iannetta, placing fifth.

The Blue Streaks kept their vigorous momentum from Friday and brought it into day two of competition at Youngstown State.

Sophomore Devin Ward took fourth place out of 41 runners in the 60-meter dash, finishing with a time of 6.99. Ward also took sixth in the 200-meter dash.

Another record was almost broken for the 800-meter run when senior Ryan Scanlon finished in third place with a time just four seconds shy of the school record.

At the Jim Wuske Invitational in Alliance, the Blue Streaks also performed strong.

In the weight throw event, senior standout Nick Colby placed first in the meet with a toss of 18.24-meters.

On the distance side, sophomore Jake Darby placed fourth in the 3,000-meter race.

Finishing off the successful day was senior Luke Cancilla, placing second in the 2,000-meter race.

The Blue Streaks track and field teams will be back in action on Saturday, Feb. 9,

looking to dominate at the All-Ohio Championships at Otterbein in Westerville, Ohio.