Blue Streaks women race, throw, and jump to success at two different meets

JCU Sports Information

Cameron Bujaucius running

Ricky Ward, The Carroll News

JCU women’s track and field team traveled to the Youngstown Mid-Major Invite on Feb. 1 and Feb. 2, where they proved worthy of the No. 3 ranking they had earned in the Great Lakes Region.  

It was a big day for John Carroll sophomore Jamie Amoroso, who nearly broke the school record in the 1,000-meter run. She finished sixth in the race, but was less than a half second away from setting a John Carroll record. Breaking the 1,000-meter record has been a goal for  Amoroso since her freshman year. “It is definitely within my reach, and is do-able,” Amoroso told The Carroll News.

While she did not break the record, she did set a new personal best.

Amoroso added, “It is always a great feeling to set a new personal achievement. It makes all of the hard workouts and training well worth it.”

Amoroso also finished 26th out of 56 in the 800-meter run.

The Streaks had strong showings both days with finishes within the top 15 against Division-I competition in the 200-meter and 500-meter runs.

Freshman Autumn Hale took fifth in the 500-meter, followed by freshman Mary Claire Schmeltzer and sophomore Amy Morris, as they finished eighth and 12th respectively.

Freshman Cameron Bujaucius finished second in the 5,000-meter run. She was 10 seconds off of the John Carroll record.  

Junior Nikki Linn finished third in high jump after jumping 1.56-meters, and sophomore Courtney Phoennik finished eighth, jumping 1.51-meters.  

Sophomore Karrah Spencer almost cracked the top 10 in 60-meter hurdles, finishing 11th with a time of 9.49 seconds. Fellow sophomore Morgan Kelley finished 19th in the 5,000-meter run.  

The women’s track and field team have two meets before the OAC Championships on Feb. 22-23. Saturday, Feb. 9, they will be in Westerville, Ohio, competing in the All-Ohio Championships.