First Place Blue Streaks dominate the Berg at home

JCU Sports Information

Olivia Nagy boxes out it an attempt to get a rebound.

Brad Heiss, Staff Reporter

Stingy defense and a balanced scoring attack led John Carroll women’s basketball to its 15th win overall and 11th win in the conference (15-6, 11-3 OAC) in defeating Heidelberg 73-54 on Feb. 4.

With the win, the Blue Streaks were able to retain a one-game-lead in the Ohio Athletic Conference, after a tough loss that they had endured Saturday, Feb. 2. In that game against the Capital Crusaders, JCU erased a 12-point deficit to come up just short, losing 60-58.

​The Blue and Gold started the game off hot against Heidelberg by jumping out to a 10-2 lead just three minutes into the game, resulting in their opponent calling an early timeout.

Coming out of the timeout, The Berg climbed back from their deficit, to trail by just three points at the end of the first quarter. John Carroll led 19-16 after the first period and featured seven players with points, including six points from sophomore forward Nicole Heffington.

​The second quarter began with both teams trading a couple of baskets, but it was not long before the Blue Streaks began to pull away. After going up 23-20 with 8:55 left to go in the half, John Carroll went on a dominating 15-0 run that held Heidelberg scoreless for nearly eight minutes.

Defense propelled this run as the Blue and Gold forced 13 straight missed shots and four turnovers for The Berg over that span. John Carroll would go into the half leading 38-22 with Heffington leading all scorers with 10. Seniors Shmoo Pryor and Chelbi Graham also recorded nine and six first-half points, respectively.

​The third quarter featured more back-and-forth play as Heidelberg made some halftime adjustments. The Blue Streaks were able to answer and retain the lead despite being outscored 19-17 in the quarter. Six different players recorded a basket in the third for John Carroll. Sophomore Abby Adler and freshman Olivia Nagy both scored four apiece. The Blue and Gold would head into the final period holding a 55-41 lead.

​The final quarter was much the same as the Blue Streaks continued their balanced scoring. Eight different JCU players recorded points and they were able to close out the game, outscoring The Berg 18-13 in the fourth quarter.

​The Blue and Gold set a season high in steals against conference opponents, grabbing 17 while forcing 22 overall turnovers. On the offensive end, John Carroll continuously worked the ball inside, scoring 44 points in the paint, while making just two three-pointers. Heffington led the way for JCU with 12 points, while Graham and Adler reached double figures with 11 and 10, respectively.

​The Blue Streaks will look to continue their dominating play at home (9-1) as they face off with conference rival Baldwin Wallace on Wednesday, Feb. 6, at 7 p.m. This game is huge for both sides as John Carroll holds a one game lead over Baldwin Wallace for first place.