JCU women’s tennis team takes down regionally ranked Oberlin

JCU Sports Information

Sophomore Alyssa Krupp looks to respond to an opposition’s serve in a game for the JCU women’s tennis team.

Kyle Kelly, Sports Editor

As the Blue Streaks women’s tennis team headed 42 miles west, they would have a tall task in front of them: defeating the Oberlin Yeowomen, who are ranked No. 10 overall in the ITA Division III Central rankings, and doing so for the first time in 14 years.

This task would come after the Blue Streaks had a full slate over Spring Break. Head coach Shaun Keenan chalked that trip as positive, depsite going 1-3 in those games.

“They had a really good trip to Florida. They played four Florida teams — really good Division II teams,” Keenan told the Carroll News.

Although it was a steep challenge a week later, the Blue and Gold came out of Oberlin on the right side of win/loss column, with a 7-2 win over the Yeowomen on Saturday, March 16. With the win, JCU’s record now sits at 3-3 on the year.

“Everyone on the team had a really good day. We had a strong win for a great start of the season,”  said Keenan.

The Blue Streaks started the day out strong, winning two out of the three doubles against the Yeowomen. The young pair of Megan Reese (freshman) and Skye Hardwood (sophomore) had a stout finish, beating a pair of Oberlin women by a score of 8-4. The second JCU pair of sophomore Alyssa Krupp and senior Carlye Campagna had a taste of victory too, with a 8-4 win.

“I have seen a lot of improvement in freshman Meghan Rissi, and sophomores Alyssa Krupp, and Skye Hardwood,” said Keenan. “They are all starting to show  little bit more maturity. They are playing better. I want to see more of that.”

In the singles, the Blue and Gold especially shined with five of the six women winning their matches. The most impressive of them all was senior Lauren O’Malley, who defeated Oberlin’s Delaney Black in dominating fashion with a 6-1 win in set one and 6-0 shutout in set two.

O’Malley has been battling a back injury,which has challenged her ability to practice since the fall.

Krupp (6-3, 6-1), Reese (6-2, 6-4) and Hardwood (6-2, 6-2) were equally dominant, winning both  their matches in just two sets.

Keenan especially had high praise for Krupp saying. “That was the best match she played in her career. She turned the switch on. She struggled down in Florida and she did not miss a ball. She played great.”

In the No. 2 singles match, senior Madisyn Rini was in for a fight. Rini won her first match 6-4 over Alandria Bellamy. Despite a Rini win in set one, Bellamy would bounce back with a convincing 6-1 win in set two over Rini, who responded with a 6-3 win in the final set, defeating Bellamy.

“It is nice to pick up a win against a really good team. They have a history of having a really good team. They have a really good coach,” said Keenan. “I am impressed. This is probably the best team that we have had. It is nice to be higher up in the region and be more respected. I think we are in for a good year.”

The Blue Streaks have won their last two games, shaking off three losses from their trip down south.

JCU’s next game will come on Saturday, March 30 in University Heights, Ohio. The Blue Streaks will battle with the Fightin’ Muskies of Muskingum as they open up 2019 Ohio Athletic Conference play.

Keenan has high expectations for his team as conference play rolls around. “If they stay healthy and continue to play this well, I am looking for them to win conference. If we do win conference, it would be nice to see us do a little bit better in the tournament,” he said. “I think with Lauren [O’Malley] on the team … we are not guaranteed to win … but she does not lose very often. We have the chance to do some damage a little bit deeper in the NCAA tournament.”