Snow day rocks JCU leaving students both in awe and frustrated

Aiden Keenan

Students sled, play and complain about the recent blizzard that hit the university.

Laken Kincaid and Aiden Keenan

On Jan. 17, according to Cleveland.com, some areas of Northeast Ohio received over 20 inches of snow. Students on JCU’s campus experienced their first day of classes of the spring semester shrouded in lost hopes for an extra day of break. Social media accounts and the community alike begged the administration for a snow day for both the dangers of the weather and likely for extra shut eye. While some made snow angels and had snowball fights, others sighed as their email remained bare of any cancellation announcement. 

Some people on campus openly complained about the temperature conditions, the slippery paths and the overall dangers that came with the flurries. Other students questioned if it was the right decision for classes to remain in session.

“I walk a mile to school since I don’t have reliable transportation,” Shannon Callaghan ‘22, told The Carroll News. “The sidewalks aren’t cleared, so I end up having to wade through two to three feet of snow or walk on the roads, which also tend to be extremely slick. I’ve already badly twisted my ankle on ice, and what is ordinarily a 20 minute walk takes half an hour or longer. Several other students who commute by walking are also really struggling with getting to class and extracurriculars.”

However, some enjoyed the chilliness by delving into their icy architecture skills. Stephen Claybaker ‘24 and his colleagues built a snow fort in the middle of the quad with the foot of powder. 

“My roommate, John Delvaux ’23, talked about building a snow fort,” Claybaker stated. “So last Saturday after some Bialy’s Bagels and an afternoon siesta, we headed out there with some other people and started building. We only had a dishwashing tub and a busted shovel we found behind Bernet but made it work. It’s called Fort Snowdell after Zach O’Dell ’24 and it’s still under construction.”

No severe injuries were reported from the storm but the coming winter season may ice the school once again leaving more collegiates both frustrated, fascinated and slipping.

Laken Kincaid is a sophomore Campus Editor from Beckley, West Virginia. They can be reached via email at [email protected] or through Twitter at @lakengkincaid.