Freshman star shines through in JCU Women’s Soccer win streak

JCU Sports Information Department

Emily Patryzk dribbles up the sideline for the Blue and Gold.

Dylan Feltovich, Staff Reporter

The John Carroll Women’s Soccer team’s win streak increases to three after a close victory against Wilmington College, 2-1 on Saturday, Oct. 1.

Freshman forward Emily Patrzyk continues to shine this season, scoring the only two goals for the Blue Streaks in the contest.

“Wilmington is a very good team,” said Patrzyk. “They are very strong on the ball and are not scared to tackle. Taking down a team like Wilmington was a team effort, our pressure from the defense and midfielders is what led us to scoring both goals. The energy being shown from everyone on the field for the full 90 minutes paid off in the end.”

The Quakers defensive effort was strong, while they held JCU to only seven shots all game. However, John Carroll struck first late in the first half. 

Juliana Kontul ‘23 rifled a ball from midfield and Patrzyk followed it up by tapping it into the goal to put the Streaks up by one in the 30th minute. The goal was quickly countered a minute later from Quakers’ Alex Wilson, assisted by Elizabeth Matthews and Jada Pohlem.

Juliana Kontul with a save during a home game this season as she plays both midfield and goalie for the Blue Streaks. (JCU Sports Information Department)

Coming into the second half, the back and forth match continued until the 54th minute when Patrzyk found the back of the net once again with Madyson Rosado ‘25 feeding the play.

Patrzyk’s second goal of the contest made her tied for the Freshman Record of goals scored for the Women’s Soccer Team with 10 goals on the year. The record is currently held by Julie Scaffidi ‘01.

“The season has been great so far. I have not only been proud of myself, but am also so proud of the team and how far we have come together,” said Patrzyk on her recent success. “I have received an unbelievable amount of support from my teammates, classmates and family, which I believe is the biggest factor in my successes on the field. You will always catch my teammates and I supporting each other on and off the field and I believe the bond the team has is what has led to a successful season so far.”

Her two goal performance put her in a special club as she is one of four players with eight or more goals in the first ten games of the season. She is accompanied by Jill Commerford ‘01, Bailey Fischer ‘18 and Scaffidi.

The Blue Streaks will host Heidelberg University on Wednesday, Oct. 5 at 7:00 p.m. to see if Patrzyk can become the freshman all time scorer in John Carroll history.