JCU Men’s and Women’s Track & Field shine at Ashland University

JCU Sports Information Department

Jimmy Kartsonas sets up in the block before his race in Ashland this weekend.

Cameron Klauke, Staff Reporter

This past weekend, The John Carroll Men’s and Women’s Track and Field teams competed at Ashland University in a very thrilling meet. Despite the commute, the Blue Streaks put on an all-time performance and earned a number of impressive finishes.

In the field events, John Carroll’s top performer was Corey Minton ‘23 who won the triple jump with a jump of 14.03 meters. Additionally, Daylen Glaze ’26 excelled in the long jump with a debut jump of 6.34 meters. 

On the track, the Blue and Gold shined in the sprints. Tyler Gast ‘24 recorded a new personal record in the 400-meter dash at 50.38 seconds followed by Victor Ononogbo ‘25 and Brody Hanlon ‘26. Rosie Murray ‘26 also bettered herself with a 26.94 in the 200-meter dash. 

In the distance races, John Carroll had a number of top performers. Ellie Kitsmiller ‘25 performed in the 800-meter with 2:20.94 followed by Abby Schroff ‘26 who ran 2:21.62. Tommy Naiman ‘25 took first in the 5000m run with an outstanding 14:53.56. 

Caleb Correa runs in the 4×400 in Ashland last weekend. (JCU Sports Information Department)

The 4x400m was the highlight of the meet, as the team of Basheer Alramahi ‘26, Garrett Clark ‘23,  Caleb Correa ‘24 and Dustin Horner ‘26 took first place with a time of 3:14.82, setting a new school record for the relay. 

Six-time All-American and grad student Garrett Clark spoke to the Carroll News on the importance of the 4×400 record.

“Breaking the 4×400 record was huge. Everyone came together and pulled through, giving us the energy we needed to succeed,” exclaimed Clark. “Hopefully we can finish the job at the national championship in early March.” 

Overall, the John Carroll track team had a very successful meet with a number of personal records and top finishes. The teams will be back in action in their next meet at Baldwin Wallace on Fri., Feb. 10.