JCU Women’s Lacrosse Season Preview

JCU Sports Information Department

Mary Doherty, Olivia Gerlach, and Kendall Gessner pose for the camera at Spring Season Media Day this year.

Ashley McCall, Sports Editor

The John Carroll Women’s Lacrosse team will look to make a statement this year following a heartbreaking end to the 2022 season. 

The Blue and Gold had a successful year as they finished the regular season 9-5 and earned a ticket to the Ohio Athletic Conference tournament. After defeating rival school University of Mount Union in the semifinals, the Blue Streaks dropped the championship game to Capital University. 

“I am so excited about the many different types of players and people we have on this team,” said Lainey Donalson ‘23. “It is going to be such a great season with the amount of talent we have from the freshmen to seniors. Something I have always loved about playing at JCU is the fact we are a family. We can get on each other’s nerves, laugh, have fun but, more importantly, have a work to win mentality. Every game and practice makes me realize how much fun it is to play with my teammates and enjoy every moment before I graduate this May.”

In the OAC Preseason Coaches Poll, the Blue Streaks earned a second place ranking with 44 votes. They followed only behind Capital who received 48 votes. 

“I feel the most exciting part of the season is the games,” continued Donalson. “Competition against other OAC schools along with outside of conference play I feel really gets us ready for any competitor. The focus of this team is pushing to work together and support each other all over the field. As a team, we try to help and build one another up to make sure everyone knows what is going on, making an environment where mistakes should happen in practice.”

The Blue Streaks will begin their season on Wed., Feb. 22 at 7 p.m. in Wooster, OH as they take on the College of Wooster in their first game of the season. 

“The team is looking ready to take on the 2023 season,” finished Donalson. “JCU Women’s Lacrosse is ready to start games and play other teams in the OAC. I think we left some unfinished business in the 2022 season and with a new team this year we are ready to get started.”