What classes can you take to fulfill your CAPA credit?

Stacey Marlow
Members from the Wind Ensemble perform at the Lombardo Student Center atrium for Admitted Student Celebration.

As part of the core curriculum at John Carroll University, students are required to earn a CAPA (Creative & Performing Arts) credit by taking a class related to creative or performing arts. There are a variety of interesting courses to choose from and selections for everyone to enjoy. 

Here is a list of offerings along with their course numbers and descriptions. Not all of these are open for enrollment every term, so make sure to consult Banner before scheduling in  future semesters. 

CL 1234: Ancient and Modern Fiber Arts

An introduction to fiber arts through hands-on activities, such as preparing fiber and spinning yarn from wool and weaving. It places emphasis on the representation of textiles in Greek and Latin literature, as well as the creation of textiles in modern practice. 

CL 1510: Classical Drama in English

Focuses on Greek and Roman tragedy and comedy, specifically its heroes, staging and performance roles within Greek and Roman culture.

COM 1104: Radio Boot Camp

An FCC-licensed broadcast radio station setting that concentrates on operations, on-air performance and programming. It highlights the fundamentals of the organization of radio stations, studio operation and on-microphone performance. This course is a prerequisite to joining WJCU, which is the official radio station of JCU. 

COM 1114: Impromptu

It is very frequent that we are asked questions that are unexpected. The most effective replies come from elements that are both innovative and effective. This course instructs students to speak stylishly, confidently, strategically and creatively.

COM 2124: Basic Photography

Students learn the different elements of visual communication by using smartphones, digital cameras and/or electronic tablets, as well as processing digital images through computers. Students also look at the ethics involved in the choice of photo, placement and processing in order to understand various issues of digital and print application such as photo manipulation, fairness, privacy, diversity and copyright.

COM 3402: Writing Screenplays

This course is about the styles of screenplay creation and the basics of script writing such as the structure of motion pictures, character development, dialogue and plot development. Students learn about the proper format of screenplay and how motion pictures are written, filmed and edited. Business practices and philosophy of the screenwriting industry are also studied. 

ER 1110: Creative Problem Solving

Increases creative potential and implements that into problem solving. Students participate in experiential learning and use that in addition to the lenses of digital, visual and musical arts to come up with projects and ideas.

FA 1051: Modern Dance

Students are introduced to the basic movements of dance. This course focuses on developing strength, endurance, agility, coordination, range of motion, efficiency of movement and stability with concentrations on alignment and relaxation. No previous dance experience is required.

FA 1052: Social/Ballroom Dance

An introduction to the styles, rhythms and movements that are used in ballroom partner dances. Types of ballroom dance include the waltz, tango, foxtrot, cha-cha, rumba, swing, mambo and merengue. No previous dance experience is required.

FA 1260: Drawing I

An introduction to drawing techniques and materials with a focus on representation, observation and formal principles of composition and design. Each student is required to pay a fee.

FA 1560: American Song: The Broadway Stage

The history and musical contributions of musical theatre in America are explored. The vocal repertoire of Broadway stage is also studied through weekly class discussion, analysis and in-class performances.

FA 1580: World Music: An Introduction

The study of world music and the art of musically diverse cultures through listening analytically, perceptively and critically. Sources, mediums, instruments, forms, styles, concepts and characteristics of musical traditions are explored in terms of different elements and styles of diversity.

GR 2310: Rock Me, Amadeus! German Music Scenes

This course is taught in German. The key German musical eras, artists and lyrics written in German-language are studied. Specific focuses include analyzing songs, the cultural and historical contexts in which German songs were produced and German music in today’s world. In addition, students will concentrate on strengthening their grammatical accuracy and enhancing communication skills in the German language. GR 1030 must be completed in order to take this class. Students can also prove they have intermediate-mid proficiency in the German language to enroll.

GR 2330: From Folklore to Popular Culture

This course is taught in German. It covers intergenerational conflict, gender identity, love and friendship in popular-cultural forms from the last two centuries such as light fiction, comics, art, film, music and fairy tales. It also focuses on strengthening grammatical accuracy and enhancing communication skills in the German language. GR 1030 must be completed in order to take this class. Students can also prove they have intermediate-mid proficiency in the German language to enroll.

For anyone who is either a musician or interested in learning how to play an instrument and read music, there are courses offered through John Carroll’s Department of Liturgical Music and Musical Arts that gives students the opportunity to get involved with some of the musical ensembles. Dr. Cynthia Caporella, the department head, told The Carroll News “All ensembles are always ready and willing to welcome new members!”

FA 1095: University Chapel Ensemble

An ensemble consisting of singers and instrumentalists that perform liturgical music for regular weekend Masses, prayer services and special liturgies on campus. Students study, prepare and perform liturgical and sacred repertoire in different musical styles that focus on praise songs and contemporary liturgical music.

FA 1102: JCU Jazz Ensemble

An instrumental ensemble that performs a variety of classic and contemporary stage pieces in different styles. The jazz ensemble makes appearances at concerts and special events on campus as well as jazz festivals in the greater Cleveland area. An informal audition is required.

FA 1103: JCU Wind Ensemble

An instrumental ensemble that rehearses and performs music arranged for woodwind, brass and percussion instruments. Students learn wind techniques and musical concepts through regular rehearsals in an ensemble atmosphere. An informal audition is required.

FA 1121: Beginning Classroom Guitar

An introduction to various guitar styles particularly focusing on basic music theory, reading music and beginning guitar technique.

FA 1131: Beginning Class Piano

The study of piano performance at a beginner level. This is taught through demonstrating introductory techniques on the piano as well as presenting fundamental concepts that are based on piano pedagogy. Students learn about piano performance skills, how to read music and key music theory ideas. This course is specifically for students with no piano background.

FA 1150: Class Voice

Focusing on vocal production with a lot of individual attention from the instructor. Students learn about the fundamentals of singing including breathing, posture, tone production, diction and song interpretation. A requirement for this course is giving several solo performances in class throughout the semester.

If questions develop about any of these courses as the planning process begins for next semester, please do not hesitate to reach out to the Office of the Registrar or the professors who teach them.