The news that keeps us Onward On!

The news that keeps us Onward On!
Since 1925
The news that keeps us Onward On!

The news that keeps us Onward On!

Follow our Twitter
Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The cringe chronicles: what is your biggest ick?

When+life+gives+you+an+ick%2C+open+up+your+favorite+umbrella.+
Craig Whitehead
When life gives you an ick, open up your favorite umbrella.

In the realm of interesting human experiences, some moments can trigger the reaction to a cringe-worthy act, also known as “The Ick.” Made popular through the TV show “Love Island” and social media outlets such as TikTok, these moments refer to a sudden feeling of disgust towards someone to whom you were once attracted. When referring to this term, it is important to note that it reflects our outlook for the ongoing balance between individual expression and societal expectations. 

Everyone has an ick, even Katie Jansen, Assistant Director of Student Engagement. “Flip-Flops, it gets bad when people wear them with long pants like denim. Especially when you’re not anywhere near sand or a beach” Jansen tells The Carroll News. 

In a poll by Seeking, over 2,000 people in the U.S. were surveyed about what their “icks” were. Over 65% of the survey respondents said that they had ended a relationship because of something “ick-worthy” their partner had done. Although the answers were different, it is clear that many of the “icks” were very notable across the board. I have compiled a list and stories from a few students on what their biggest icks are.  

1. Playing the guitar and singing to you

“We were sitting at his dining room table and he just whipped out the guitar – no context, no questions asked – and started playing and singing Nirvana. Unless you are Justin Bieber, do not sing to me. This is not “High School Musical.”” Jenna Kelly ‘25 tells The Carroll News. 

It is even worse when they sing the wrong lyrics. I once had someone play the ukulele to me and sing all of the wrong words to “Island in the Sun” by Weezer. He was kind-hearted and passionate but the music skills were not there. 

2. When you add someone on Snapchat and it says to “subscribe.”

Within the past few years, a feature was released on Snapchat where users can set their profile to have friends become subscribers to their account. I hate to break it to these people, but they are not famous or an influencer.  

3. Using an umbrella. 

Using an umbrella and not walking through the rain shows signs of defeat. You then have to deal with carrying the umbrella throughout the day as it leaves trails of water behind. Bonus points if you are using one and the wind flips it inside out. 

4. Poor Hygiene

“My biggest ick would be if I have to be a mother figure to my boyfriend. I was in a relationship where I had to remind him to brush his teeth and shower.” Haliey Sackoor ‘25 tells The Carroll News. 

This lack of cleanliness can also be paired with dirt under fingernails, bad breath and smelling bad. Wash your hands and dig under the nails, maybe pop a piece of gum in your mouth too, anything would be nice while I am sitting in my 8 a.m. class. 

5. Rude attitudes

This is my personal biggest ick for people. Being mean-spirited is one thing, but have you ever seen someone be rude to a waiter for no reason? I will also pair this with students who talk back to substitute teachers, as well as people who act out in class to try and look cool. Don’t make everyone else’s lives hard because you think you are the class clown, you are just a clown. 

6. Not moving on from/peaking during high school

I used to have friends who would constantly refer back to their high school days by having us sit on their couch and watch them go through an old cheer routine. High school is over, I do not want to see the cheer routine you learned in 2016.

7. The way some people hold forks while they eat

“One of my biggest icks is realizing how people hold a fork while they eat. Instead of holding it regularly, they grip the entire fork with their hand, then bring it to their mouths like their lives depend on it,” Jessica Judd ‘24 tells The Carroll News. 

8. Chasing after an object that is rolling away. 

I think we have all been here before, what really makes this an ick is the awkward crouched running to pick up the item as it rolls away. Bonus points if you reach for it and it only goes farther. 

9. People who celebrate their birthday as a “Birth week”

Recently while scrolling through TikTok an old episode of “Victorious” came up and it was Trina Vega’s birthday week episode. This viewing took me back to a time in high school when an old friend would make us buy her gifts and give them to her each day before her actual birthday. I can understand celebrating your birthday for a weekend, as I have done that myself, however, a week to celebrate turning 23 is cringe. 

10. The noise someone makes after eating something hot.

You knew the item was hot, yet you still took a bite of it. Now, instead of seeing you waiting to eat your hot soup, I have to listen to you make the weirdest “ha ha ha ha ooh ha” noises to cool it off. What makes this even worse is that some people just spit it out onto a napkin and we have to look at the crumpled-up napkin as a reminder of what you did. 

11. Baby Talk

This should be illegal. 

12. Asking someone if they want to see a magic trick

“This person pulled out a deck of cards and asked me if I knew any magic tricks. I felt like I was with a fourth grader,” Gianna Merlo ‘25 said. “I think the worst thing about this is that they follow it up with ‘Have you ever played 52 pickup?’”

There you have it: everyone has their cringe-worthy moments, but others can have an ick that flips someone’s perspective of you. Although the survey by Seeking doesn’t have all of these listed, it goes to show just how closely some people can pay attention to detail. It is easy to have these small quirks about us – in fact, that is what makes us human. Despite the discomfort, these acts bring us close together in either sharing that we do the same things or get disgusted by them.