Updates on campus-wide LGBTQIA+ inclusion efforts

Olivia Shackleton, Campus Editor

In a Sept. 26 email addressing the John Carroll community, President Michael Johnson discussed updates on educational events regarding the LGBTQIA+ community and how the University plans to work on and increase inclusion efforts on campus.

Johnson wrote, “I am encouraged by the ideas being generated for expanded programming to foster respectful awareness and understanding of the many identities at John Carroll.”

Johnson’s email stated that Edward Peck, the vice president for Mission and Identity, has organized a working group comprised of faculty, staff, students and alumni to focus on LGBTQIA+ inclusion. The group will provide their recommendations on Dec. 1.

The following was taken directly from Johnson’s Sept. 26 email.

“Collaborations among faculty, staff and students have already resulted in additional programming this academic year that will encourage dialogue focused on the expression, appreciation and understanding of the many identities represented in our community. New opportunities include:

“In a collaboration between the Gender, Sexuality & Women’s Studies and Peace, Justice & Human Rights programs, several academic courses will combine to host a curricular event for our community on October 12 called The History and Practice of Drag: Gender Performance and Human Rights.

“Campus Ministry and the Office of Mission and Identity will sponsor facilitated conversations in October and November around Catholic Teaching and pastoral responses related to LGBTQ Issues.

“The Breen Chair in Catholic Theology, Institute for Catholic Studies, and Department for Theology & Religious Studies will host Richard R. Gaillardetz, Ph.D., on October 17. Dr. Gaillardetz, the Joseph Professor of Catholic Systematic Theology at Boston College, will deliver a lecture entitled A Credible Faith: Catholic Identity in the Midst of Scandal.

“On November 4, the Center for Student Diversity & Inclusion (CSDI) will host actor, writer and activist Dylan Marron, a member of the LGBTQIA+ community, whose recent TED Talk and podcast Conversations with People Who Hate Me focus on his dialogue with individuals who send him hateful comments on the internet.

“The Office of Mission & Identity, the Institute for Catholic Studies, Campus Ministry and CSDI will host Fr. Bryan Massingale, a nationally recognized speaker and leader in the field of theological ethics on March 10-11, 2020. Fr. Massingale will offer a community lecture, workshop for campus leaders and a student conversation based on his recent article The Challenge of Idolatry for LGBTI Ministry.”