Erin Ahern advocates for student voices as Student Gov. president

Erin Ahern ‘21 was elected as the new Student Gov. President. (Photo courtesy of Erin Ahern.)

Olivia Shackleton, Campus Editor

November is the month for elections, and students at JCU found themselves gearing up for a close race for Student Government president. With three candidates running for the position, Erin Ahern secured the win with 38.38 % of the vote.  Ahern’s win was officially announced on the evening of Nov. 7,  and she will be inaugurated in January 2020.

Prior to her election, Ahern was a Student Government senator. She has been working toward improving campus safety through various initiatives.

As president, Ahern wants to interact more with the administration and ensure that students have a say in decisions that have a significant impact on campus. “[The] administration doesn’t value students’ voices as much as it should. That is one of my goals as president, to advocate for students’ voices through legislation, enactments and stuff like that,” Ahern said.

“I think, for big decisions on campus, for example the drag show, I want to make sure student voices are heard in those decisions,” she continued.

She emphasized the need for students to feel heard. According to Ahern, this is one of the biggest goals for her presidency. “I think that so many students, on government and not on government, have so many great ideas that aren’t being heard.”

What Ahern perceives as another issue facing the student body also deals with recognizing students’ ideas and addressing their concerns. “One of the biggest problems is that students have opinions but they don’t really voice them. Whether they don’t care enough to voice them or they don’t feel like they have the power to voice them. I guess that ties back into making sure that students’ voices are heard.”

Ahern says that she is looking forward to her term as president and all the projects that she will advance. “I am excited to really help bring forward projects that senators and people who aren’t in Student Government are passionate about.”

Ahern stayed consistent with the idea of listening to all when she described her leadership style. “As a leader, I will take charge in situations but I don’t want to be overpowering. I take pride in my leadership because I do consider everybody’s opinions. I do want everyone to be involved. At the end of the day, I am representing the student body.”

When asked if her approach of listening to everyone’s opinions might make it difficult to make a decision, Ahern stated, “Definitely, but I think if you don’t at least try then you will get nowhere.”

Ahern suggests that students should contact their student senators or attending Senate meetings to begin a dialogue about any questions, concerns or ideas they may have. “Ultimately, senators are the ones who write and pass legislation, so if they have a concern or idea, they should go to their senators,” Ahern said.

Some of these projects include the renovations that began this year, the safety initiatives and some senators’ projects, such as one focused on recycling.

When asked if attending Student Government meetings was the only way for students to get involved and have their ideas heard, Ahern responded, “It shouldn’t be. … It should be me reaching out to departments or senators reaching out to students. But right now, the only way students [feel like their voices are being recognized] is by coming to Senate meetings or if they have friends who are senators. It shouldn’t be that way.”

When asked if her approach of listening to everyone’s opinions might make it difficult to make a decision, Ahern stated, “Definitely, but I think if you don’t at least try, then you will get nowhere.”

Ahern suggests that students should contact their student senators or attend Senate meetings to begin a dialogue about any questions, concerns or ideas they may have. “Ultimately, senators are the ones who write and pass legislation, so if they [students] have a concern or idea, they should go to their senators,” Ahern said.

Editor’s Note: Student Government President Mike Bishop resigned this weekend. Vice President Maddie Tobolewski will be assuming his role, according to VP of Communication Lauren Phillip. The Carroll News will publish updates as the story develops.