2020 presidential candidate “Mellie Grant”

Olivia Shackleton, Campus Editor

The United States’ 2018 midterm elections demonstrated a dramatic increase in voter turnout. According to electproject.org, 50.3% of the voting-eligible population made it to the polls. NPR reported that there had been a 41% voter turnout in the 2010 midterm elections and 36.7% voter turnout for the 2014 midterm elections. The increase in voter turnout in the 2018 midterms was notably reflected in the young-adult age group.

“Among 18- to 29-year-olds, voter turnout went from 20% in 2014 to 36%  in 2018, the largest percentage point increase for any age group,” reported census.gov.

The Carroll News wanted to see if the trend seen in young voter turnout for the 2018 midterm elections was reflected in the John Carroll population. Members of The Carroll News staff walked around Grasselli Library on Tuesday afternoon and asked students what their opinions  were on 2020 presidential candidate “Mellie Grant.” The catch: Mellie Grant is a fictional character from the TV show “Scandal.”

Many students had similar answers when asked about this candidate. They generally stated they do not follow politics at all, while some noted that they do not know much about Grant herself.

Elizabeth Hughes ‘21 said, “I don’t know her. I don’t follow politics.”

“I’m oblivious to politics. I don’t know who she is,” said senior Sam Sestito.

“I don’t know much about her,” Andrew Eretl said.

“I don’t follow any politics. The only candidate I’ve heard of is … what is his name … I think he is gay. If I look up gay politician I’m sure he’d pop up,” said senior Brady Wells.

Some students offered alternative reasons for not knowing about Grant as a candidate in the upcoming 2020 election.

Senior MJ Bronsky said, “I don’t follow politics a ton, but I’d say I follow it more than most. I think mainstream media is biased towards candidates they like. I’ve never heard of her before.”

“I’m not super-informed,” said Danielle Baffa ‘23. “I feel like the impeachment is much more pressing.”

Only one student mentioned researching the candidate before forming an opinion.

“I haven’t been following the debates,” said senior Brianna Sweeney. “I would need to do some research.”

Editor’s note: Special thanks to Megan Parker and Betsy Love, who offered this story idea. Thanks to Emily Weaver and Sophia Maltese for helping to interview students.