Scouting study spots

Kaitlin Ryan, Social Media Editor

Students betrayed by the myth of syllabus week have found themselves thrown right back into the struggle of balancing studying, a social life and their sanity. 

Having a favorite study spot can make doing work less stressful and more enjoyable. If the fluorescent lights of the library or the loud music and screech of espresso machines at Starbucks limit your productivity, one of these trendy spots in the Greater Cleveland Area may be just what you need.

Phoenix Coffee

This spot on Lee Rd. in Cleveland Heights is one of Cleveland’s first specialty coffee roasters. The chalkboard menu reads clearly on the white brick wall, with all of the coffee and tea staple items offered. Shazam-worthy mellow music and a comfortable, warm atmosphere allow for a study session with minimal distractions. It may be difficult to snag the coveted table by the outlet, so you better get there early! If you are in need of a change of scenery, Phoenix operates out of five more locations across the Greater Cleveland Area, ranging from Ohio City to Coventry, all offering the same hip vibes. 

Rising Star Coffee Roasters

One of the Heights’ most up-and-coming areas, Van Aken Market Hall in Shaker Heights, houses a variety of shops and restaurants. Newly added Rising Star does not shy away from this area’s trendy atmosphere. The Instagram story-worthy interior and its large, open floor plan make this spot perfect for any of your studying needs.  

Luna Bakery & Cafe

Frequently passed by Barrio patrons, there is more to the place you have “always wanted to try” than meets the eye. The bright, open space (once you get beyond the front counter and into the back room) allows for your whole study group to come along, with some legroom to spare. Luna’s social atmosphere better suits light work, so it may not be the place for a heavy load of homework or intense studying. In need of a recharge? The menu offers an abundance of fueling food and pastries for every hunger level. 

Nervous Dog Coffee Bar

If you can secure one of the few indoor tables, you can accomplish some serious studying. The dimmed lights and soft soundtrack of classic coffee shop beats offer a relaxing, yet motivating atmosphere. Nervous Dog’s interior aesthetic is best described as treehouse meets warehouse. In the warmer months, a generous amount of outdoor seating is offered.

Up-and-coming…

“I can see my dorm from here!” Close enough for Carroll students to walk to, Bigby’s Coffee will soon be sharing the strip with iconic places like Ben and Jerry’s, Pizzazz and Dave’s. While the studying benefits of this location are yet to be determined, coffee will certainly be on the menu, so it can be anticipated that productivity will be a house favorite. 

Caffeine, a playlist that encourages concentration and a great atmosphere all make for a successful studying experience. Take a trip to any of these locations to try it out for yourself.