JCU men sweep weekend

JCU Sports Information

Sophomore Adam Lenz competes in a race in the Johnson Natatorium.

It is rare that a team in sports can win back-to-back, especially in the exhausting sport of swimming. Well, that is exactly what the John Carroll University men’s swimmers and divers did this past weekend.

The Blue Streaks dove back into non-conference play on Friday night, Jan. 24, in Ashland. They left soaring with a 133.5-102.5 win over the Eagles. Then on Saturday afternoon, the Blue and Gold dipped back down to Wilmington, Ohio, to defeat the Fightin’ Quakers 205-57.

Both wins brought importance to the swimming and diving program. Friday’s victory in Ashland secured their 10th consecutive victory in a dual meet. That is the longest winning streak since the JCU men won 16 straight meets from 2002-04, according to JCU Sports Information.

In Saturday’s win over Wilmington, the Blue Streaks achieved their first undefeated dual-meet season since 2003-04.

Against Ashland, the Blue and Gold swam away with victories in the 50-yard freestyle, the 100-yard fly, 100-yard freestyle, 100-yard backstroke, the 200-yard freestyle relay and the 1-meter springboard diving.

John Carroll won a dozen events against Wilmington, including 1-2-3 sweeps in the 200-meter medley and 200-meter freestyle, 50-meter backstroke, 100-meter freestyle, 100-meter backstroke and 50-meter butterfly.

Between both events, the Blue Streaks had 21 swimmers and divers finish in either first, second or third place. Freshman Liam McDonnell had the most impressive weekend, finishing in first place in three events. Sophomores Adam Lenz and Matthew Pietesch had a pair of first-place victories as well.

The Blue and Gold have a much deserved three-week break before they compete in the most important team meet of the year: the OAC Championships.

The Blue Streaks won last year’s conference championships and will once again defend their title.