Blue Streak Men’s Track and Field Team places second behind arch-rival

JCU Sports Information

Alex Phillip (front, JCU) and Jamie Dailey (back, JCU) race in the OAC Championship on March 5.

Ashley McCall, Staff Reporter

It came down to the final events in Westerville, Ohio, as a battle for first place ensued between John Carroll University and the University of Mount Union for the Men’s Indoor Track and Field Ohio Athletic Conference Championship. In the end, the John Carroll men fell behind by 32.5 points to finish second in the OAC. 

Similar to the Blue and Gold Women’s Track and Field team performance the previous day, two school records were broken, in this case by juniors Alex Phillip and Garrett Clark. Phillip was later named OAC Distance Athlete of the Week for his contributions.

Phillip completed the 5,000-meter run with a time of 14:52.15, just milliseconds better than the 2017 record holder, Matt Andrews. Phillip earned first place in this event, along with the one-mile race; he also placed fifth in the 3,000-meter run

Clark reached a personal record (49.25) in his first-place victory in the 400-meter dash, one that would nudge him over the previous record holder for this event. He continued to find success in his contributions to the 4 x 400-meter relay, in which JCU finished first, and his fourth-place finish in the 60-meter dash.

The Blue and Gold found achievement in individual and relay events alike. 

Senior Deven Ward, junior Willis Goodwin and freshman Jimmy Kartsonas took second through fourth place in the long jump, adding 19 points to the JCU score. Goodwin and Kartsonas also finished third and sixth in the triple jump, while Ward placed second in the 60-meter dash and third in the 200-meter dash.

The men’s distance medley, composed of the junior quartet of Sam Coe, Mark Zahren, James Mangan and Ian Pierson, placed first with a time of 10:22.33. The 4 x 200-meter relay finished in third place, its members consisting of sophomore Cameron Klauke, Zahren, Goodwin and Kartsonas

Jamie Dailey finished a slot behind Phillip in the 5,000-meter run, while in the 3,000-meter race Jamie Dailey placed first. 

Despite the athletic skill and triumph displayed by John Carroll throughout the day, Mount Union was able to take the leader position on the scoreboard. 

“This year’s men’s team truly fought to the very end and gave Mount Union their toughest battle in recent history,” stated JCU Track and Field Head Coach Kyle Basista. “I’m extremely proud of the effort our guys distributed all day in the unique one-day format. In addition, to be ranked in the Top 10 all year in the country shows the level of competitiveness our program is currently at.”

The Blue and Gold Men’s Track and Field team will look to add on to their success in the outdoor season, which begins on March 20 at Marietta College.