Clean Your Room

Mariella van der Sluijs, Op/Ed Editor

Over the weekend I binge-watched the new Netflix phenomenon “Tidying Up with Marie Kondo.” The show centers around the Japanese consultant and tidying guru Marie Kondo, who helps people declutter their houses and focus only on the things that “spark joy.”

The show’s great success is no surprise. The ingredients are straightforward: Kondo guides people through her structured five-step plan and gives them simple techniques to tidy up and organize their belongings. Every episode follows new people with their own unique stories, whether it’s a couple who don’t know how to keep their house organized with two young kids or an older lady who doesn’t know how to organize her husband’s materials after his passing earlier that year. Each story is interpreted by short scenes of Kondo explaining the best tidying techniques for different clothes and rooms.

What makes this makeover show different is that Kondo does not come in and organize the whole house for the participants. She gives them the tools to succeed on their own and checks in with them throughout the process. Having people organize their own house throughout the month Kondo is with them helps them to build healthy organizational habits that will stay with them long after Kondo is gone. Moreover, the tidying process helped all the couples and families to grow closer and learn about what to prioritize and what to let go of.

The therapeutic effects of Kondo’s show not only help the participants but also the viewers. The tips Kondo gives, such as folding techniques and separating things using boxes, have inspired many avid viewers of the show such as myself. Cleaning and re-organizing your room is something many people want to do but often put off. Cluttered desks and other messes add to the stress many students are already experiencing and prevent productivity. Having an organized room helps to clear your mind and allow you to focus on what really matters to you, whether that is school, relationships or anything else.

The goal of Kondo’s method, also called the KonMari method, is to keep only the things that “spark joy” for you. By applying this method, it becomes easier to distinguish between things that add value to your day-to-day life and things that you may just be holding on to out of guilt or convenience. When you only keep materials that make you happy, every day becomes a little better as you are drawing energy from your things instead of your mess bringing you down.

Heavily inspired by Kondo, I immediately started to clean my own room. Her process may take a few days, but I am already starting to see the difference the KonMari method is having on my life. When I open my drawers, I see my socks neatly organized in different compartments based on size and function. It adds some calm to hectic mornings and makes me want to keep my clothes organized. I even found myself walking to Target in between my classes to buy more boxes to continue my organizational endeavors.

The trick behind success is doing all the heavily lifting in the beginning and maintaining an organized household thereafter. So do not get bummed out if you realize you have way more clothes than you thought and wonder how you will ever dig through everything. I am here to tell you that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, no matter how dark and cluttered the road may be. You will feel like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders and out of your drawers. So, clean your room and get your life in shape. Not convinced yet? Binge-watch “Tidying Up with Marie Kondo” over the weekend and start your Monday by telling others to clean up too.