How to stay sane in self-quarantine

Rachel Scully, Arts & Life Editor

Photo by Andrew Neel on Unsplash

Recently, it has been incredibly hard for people to stay productive at home. College students have especially been struggling. This may be because college life is so hectic and (often) fun, whether it be going over to your best friend’s dorm or hanging out at the ‘Tween. Life has completely changed with the coronavirus pandemic. However, if you are looking for some ideas on how to stay sane at home, look no further. Here are five ways to do just that:

Try a Group Call

Are you in need of a girls’ or guys’ night? Maybe you just need to vent to some friends? Try to arrange a group call! If you want to do more than just talk, you can! For example, if you want to play a game, you can share screens on Skype or Zoom. A great recommendation for game night is JackBox. All you need are your phones and sharing your screen! If you want to watch a movie with some friends, start the movie at the exact same time so you and your friends can discuss it as it plays. A much needed self-care night with some friends can also help relieve stress.

Have a Routine

One of the easiest ways to keep sane is by having a routine. Maybe in the morning, you turn on some music, make your bed, have some coffee or breakfast and then get started on your work for the day. Maybe at night you turn on your favorite audiobook while washing your face and getting ready for bed. Whether it be a routine in the morning, night or even afternoon, make one that works for you. 

Try That Thing You’ve Always Wanted to Try

Is there a book that has been collecting dust on your shelf? Have you wanted to take up sewing? Possibly, you wanted to pick up a new language. Now is the perfect time to get around to that thing you have always wanted to do. Being cooped up in your house is a wonderful way to pick up new hobbies. If you don’t want to try that, then maybe check out that show that’s been on your list for the past few months. Whatever that thing is for you, now is a good time to get on it. 

Go outside

Being in quarantine does not mean you can’t get some fresh air. While it is important to maintain a social distance of at least one meter, according to The World Health Organization, this should not stop you from going outside. Maybe go for a walk or do some exercises in your backyard. Even just standing outside for a moment to clear your head can do wonders. It is so incredibly crucial to take care of your mental health, especially now. A change of environment and feeling the fresh air can do just that. A bit of exercise can help too. 

Photo by Jared Rice on Unsplash

Relax

When is the last time at school that you did absolutely nothing? Have you ever just sat and meditated? This is a perfect time to do so. After class, you don’t have to walk back to your room or car, you can just walk over to your bed and nap. After you get some work done, maybe just take a breather. Allow yourself to do nothing. While it is important to get your schoolwork done, you don’t have to be productive every single day. Allow yourself a lighter load one day and try out one of the activities above. Take this time to learn how to do nothing, at least once in a while.