Blue Streaks win OAC Championship in men’s golf for the first time since 2010

The 2018 John Carroll University Men’s Golf Team

Riley Sharp, Business & Finance Editor

With an enthused and intense effort, the Blue Streaks men’s golf team scored a solid victory in the OAC Fall Championship on the weekend of Oct. 6. The Blue Streak’s capture of the Fall OAC Championship is the first time since 2010, when the John Carroll Blue Streaks also won, that a conference team other than Otterbein has won the Fall Invitational. Similar to the championship in 2010, the Blue Streaks pulled ahead of every attending school early in their rounds.

John Carroll carded a 303, cutting Otterbein by two strokes and claiming the team title at the Colonial Golfers Club in Harrod, Ohio.

Sophomore standout Nolan Laughlin became the second consecutive Blue Streak to win OAC Men’s Golfer of the Week Honors, the first being freshman Ben Gleichauf who earned the honors last week.

Senior Mike Furey, amongst his fellow teammates, was very excited with this finisher of the season.

“Coming into the weekend it was pretty clear no one was giving us much of a chance,” Furey said.

He continued, “I couldn’t be happier for Nolan considering he had to win a playoff just to make this trip and then he goes and wins the whole thing. This definitely sends a message to the OAC and the guys on our team that we have the talent to do some damage in the Spring when it really counts, and that’s exciting.”

Furey tied for 16th in the tournament, shooting a 78. The Blue Streaks had a few other top 20 finishers in the tournament. Gleichauf and fellow freshman Michael Schnur both tied for ninth to finish and tallied 77 strokes.

The final top five teams were recorded by John Carroll’s Sports Information as the Muskingum team with 306, Mount Union with 308 and Marietta with 309.

According to the Blue Streak team, ending the 2018 fall season on such a good note puts the men at a mental advantage heading into the Spring 2019