Schuppel’s Scoop: Community from the arts

Claire Schuppel, Arts & Life Editor

In a society that places the majority of its educational emphasis on the sciences, technological studies, engineering and mathematics, art is often left in the dust. Many forget the value that the arts hold in our lives. We seek that which unifies us and the arts are an integral part of strengthening our communities. 

Early civilizations used artwork as a means of preserving important moments within communities. The Norman Rockwell Museum’s Illustration History provides information on art from before the common era stating that civilizations’ upper classes were able to hire scribes or artists to honor the lives of the living and the dead, military events, daily routines and more. We reflect back on the periods depicted in those pieces of stone or crafted via mosaics and can see the importance of their colonies. Art defies the limitations of time, creating an opportunity for us to see thousands of years before us. 

While we don’t exclusively use the art techniques of early civilizations, we use modern art in every form to serve the same purpose. We take field trips to art museums, reminiscent of the famous “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” scene. We go to theaters to see movies like Richard Linklater’s “Dazed and Confused,” which shows a day in the life of 1970s adolescents. We will go to concerts and hear an artist cry out poetry based on their relationships. Art surrounds us and can bring us together, allowing us to coexist and appreciate a piece together. 

Think back to your high school years as your theater department would put on their spring musicals or their fall plays. Remember the band performances and the orchestra showcases that students spent most of their free time preparing for. Students everywhere complained about art requirements for a myriad of reasons, yet they forget bonds created through art will follow us throughout our lives. Nothing brings together people from all walks of life like a local arts scene’s performance of “Macbeth” or a wintertime concert. 

The arts have created outlets of expression and collaboration for everyone including myself. I cannot put into words how much movies, books, pieces of music and paintings have moved me emotionally; the experiences are only heightened by being around others. I reminisce on my yearly “Harry Potter” rewatches with my dad or reading kids mystery books with my mom.  Among those memories are ones at concerts with some of my closest friends or in weekly dance classes. 

So, when a day of work away from creativity has concluded, go to a museum and stare at tablet drawings from 4,000 years ago, watch a horrible movie with friends and laugh or peruse a Barnes and Noble with a loved one; the arts are limitless. Allow them to bring you closer to those who love the arts like you do.

Claire Schuppel is a sophomore from Lakewood, Ohio. You can reach her at [email protected].