Beta Theta Pi & The Power of Will

Greek life is something that has a place around almost every college campus. It provides individuals an opportunity to grow alongside their fellow brothers or sisters and allows them to develop themselves through the core values of their fraternity and sororities. However, while individual growth is important, Greek life also has a strong focus on philanthropy. With each chapter connected to a specific organization their efforts in helping the cause are most commonly seen through fundraising. These fundraisers can come in the form of public events or through simply spreading awareness on ways to donate online.

Beta Theta Pi is one of these fraternities on campus. While originally founded in 1839 at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, John Carroll houses the Eta Epsilon chapter of the fraternity. Dedicated to developing men of principle, Beta Theta Pi is one of the largest and one of the oldest fraternities to exist.

Will Hudson was one of its members, joining Beta his freshman year at John Carroll back in 2013. The bright soul and well-rounded Will had the ambitious dream of becoming an attorney while living his college life to the fullest. He quickly became involved with the Student Union as a Senator and balanced his school life with his love for traveling. Many would consider Will to be an outstanding example of the type of men Beta Theta Pi produces, but sadly, Will’s beautiful life would undertake great change. In July 2015, Will was faced with a challenging diagnosis: osteosarcoma in his left knee.

Osteosarcoma is cancer that originates from cells that form bone found commonly in younger individuals. Will received 15 weeks of chemotherapy along with an additional 15 after a total knee replacement. Despite this, Will went on to become President of the Student Union just 8 weeks after his surgery. In December 2016 Will was diagnosed with multiple metastases inside his lungs after his previous treatment.

However, this didn’t stop him from living the life he wanted. He went on to graduate from John Carroll in 2018, become a law student at the Moritz College of Law at Ohio State and even became engaged to his girlfriend of three years.

Unfortunately, following a diagnosis of Myelodysplastic Syndrome, Will passed unexpectedly from complications on August 18, 2020.

Though his life came to an end, The Power of Will seeks to continue Will’s legacy by helping with funding research and education on sarcoma. The organization strives to help those suffering from sarcoma by providing additional resources to family members and patients who are in great need of assistance. 

This Spring, Beta Theta Pi has partnered up with The Power of Will to help fundraise for the organization.

The Power of Will is thrilled to be partnered with the Beta chapter at JCU!” states Joe Weber, current philanthropy advisor for Beta and alumni of John Carroll’s Beta Theta Pi chapter. “Some of my fondest memories with Will are times we spent together at Beta events and socials. He loved Beta and John Carroll and it’s important that both are actively involved with our organization so that we can better fulfill our mission.”

Each brother is helping the cause by using the highly popular online bingo cards, in which individuals can donate a specific amount to cover any donation value on the board. The total amount paid out to each brother for their board is then totaled together and donated to The Power of Will.

“Beta has raised nearly $800 and counting for the Power of Will.” states Jared Flitt, current Beta member and philanthropy chair of the chapter. “It has been great to see John Carroll FSL come together for a great cause.”

President of Beta Christopher Fovozzo also exemplified his excitement to be working with The Power of Will towards its mission of assisting those with sarcoma.

“We are very honored to be partnered with this organization and will help support any initiatives. The Power of Will means so much to our fraternity as we remember our late brother Will Hudson. Through our fundraising, we hope to make a difference in the lives of sarcoma patients and their loved ones.”

While philanthropy may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the words Greek life, Beta Theta Pi has shown its dedication to it through its efforts to support The Power of Will. Just as Will Hudson supported his brothers during his time in Beta, current members of his fraternity couldn’t be happier to support an organization made in his name.

Evan Smith is a Freshman at John Carroll University. You can reach him at [email protected].

Disclaimer: Evan Smith is a member of Beta Theta Pi. The Carroll News retains full editorial control over content submitted to the newspaper.