“Jumanji: The Next Level” Review

“Jumanji: The Next Level” is set to be released on Friday, Dec. 13. 2019. (Photo from Flickr)

Rachel Scully, Arts & Life Editor

Continuing the success of the series, “Jumanji: The Next Level” does not disappoint. Although some sequels tend to be the lesser version of the first movie, this one keeps the hype. The key to its greatness? The actors and their versatility.

The story progresses from the next film, with all the key actors, such as Dwayne Johnson, Jack Black and Kevin Hart, coming back for another round. However, there are a few admirable additions to the movie, including Awkwafina, Danny Glover and the legendary Danny DeVito. While the story could fail with the wrong cast, as it does test their versatility, the cast was one of the best parts about the film because of their incontestable talent.

As shown in the first movie, the players are five high school students who become the characters of the game. This concept already tests the abilities of the actors to take on the personalities of the other characters, ones that they might not have ever played. For example, Jack Black plays a popular high school girl. Despite the obvious challenges, the actors were able to work with much success, and that success carries on to the next movie.

It seems like the writers had more fun with the multiple characters this time, as each person plays multiple people in the sequel. The actors tested their limits and it definitely worked to their benefit.

Additionally, the humor is a highlight of the film. The movie doesn’t take itself too seriously and allows the humor to flow. There were not many jokes that seemed too forced, which can be a downfall for action movies. The story also does not suffer any consequences from the added humor. Sometimes, humor can sidetrack the important parts and drag down the film, which is not the case here.

There is one downfall of the film. With it being a sequel, it does not elevate the storyline. The players’ story does not progress much, other than a further development of their friendship. It seems to be another adventure for the whole gang, which is not totally a bad thing. Sometimes, it is quite nice to see the characters get back together to enjoy another game of Jumanji. Plus, it gives another opportunity for the actors to give a remarkable performance.

Overall, this movie is definitely a must-see. The returning cast plus some fun additions continue the successful chemistry while also providing a fun story to watch unfold. If you are a fan of the Jumanji series or just want to see Awkwafina and Dwayne Johnson play Danny DeVito, then this is the movie for you.