Ynra Bohan becomes U.S. citizen

@jcuswimdive Instagram

Ynyra Bohan holds a USA themed swim cap in the Johnson Nataorium after becoming a U.S. Citizen.

Ashley McCall, Staff Reporter

Breaking the school record in the 200-yard butterfly isn’t the only big milestone for Ynyra Bohan, a freshman swimmer at John Carroll University. Bohan and her parents just recently became United States citizens after living in the U.S. for the past 15 years on a visa and green card.

Bohan is from Pittsburgh and attended Upper Saint Clair High School. The next time she goes back home, she will officially be an American.

“It is a relief to finally get American citizenship,” Bohan explained. “I have lived in the United States for 15 years, so gaining dual citizenship between the United States and England is exciting.”

Before even becoming a full U.S. citizen, Bohan was already making a huge splash on the JCU women’s swim team.

Bohan’s first appearance in the 200-yard butterfly resulted in a win against Ohio Northern.

She continued to improve on her ‘200 fly’ with a 2:15.40 finish in the swim team’s win against Mount Union and 2:17.97 against Case Western.

She then went on to break the school record in the preliminaries of the Wabash Invitational with a time of 2:09.68 on Nov. 24.

“It was really exciting, breaking a school record that early in the season,” Bohan said. “I wasn’t expecting it, but hopefully I’ll break it again soon.”

Among her other finishes, Bohan won the 200 butterfly against Mount Union University on Nov. 2. She aided the 400 medley relay team in finishing fourth.

As Bohan looks to her future at John Carroll, she’s glad that her family can finally stop worrying about the tiring process of renewing green cards and work visas and can now focus on living in their new home country.

“I was ready to finally become an American because the U.S. is where I spent the majority of my childhood,” Ynyra said. “It’s my home.”