Best transitional wardrobe pieces for fall 2020

Nasya Stevenson, Staff Reporter

Hot summer days are coming to an end as we enter the new season. Trees are  changing color, and the air feels cool and crisp. Not only is the weather shifting, our wardrobe is too. When beginning a breeze-filled day, you want something to wear that will keep you warm yet stylish. There may be days when you feel like Cher Horowitz from “Clueless”: I have nothing to wear. Luckily, we’ve compiled five fall staples that will be perfect for this time of the year. 

Photo by Ella Schuellerman

Leather Jackets

A leather jacket for the fall season is a must-have. Actors, models and street style stars have already been seen wearing this jacket out. According to Vogue.com,  “Emily Ratajkowski recently layered a neon hoodie under an oversized leather blazer, with a pair of outdoor slippers from Ugg, while Kaia Gerber effortlessly put her leather blazer look together with the help of two additional fall staples—boot-cut blue jeans and a pair of flat black booties.”

Layer Up

Layering up as the temperature drops is important for staying warm, and now you can look cute while doing it. One way to successfully layer is by replacing your miniskirt with a midi skirt, then add a pair of tall boots for coverage. You can find an asymmetrical midi skirt option at Net a Porter or a local clothing store.

Photo by Ella Schuellerman

Graphic T-Shirt

A graphic T-shirt is a great transitional piece. It can completely elevate a casual outfit. Pair your worn-out graphic t-shirts with a denim jacket or leather blazer. You can find affordable options at local clothing stores or even search a vintage shop for a diamond-in-the-rough find. Local thrift store Avalon Exchange has a plethora to choose from and is a hotspot for college students to find unique, new garments.

Chunky Cardigan

Another great fall staple piece is a cardigan. Harpersbazaar.com suggests, “While cardigans might be an obvious choice for the office, trade in the more traditional approach by going for a calf-length midi style that can double as a dress. You can always temper the loose fit with a wide belt.” College students can search for the perfect cardigan at local boutiques or check out Urban Outfitter’s newest releases. 

Mary Janes

A good pair of shoes to shop for are Mary Janes. The name of the shoe originated from a character in the 1902 New York Herald comic Buster Brown. The eclectic shoe style is making a comeback and can be found in all shapes, sizes and colors. Mary Janes can be paired with jeans, dresses and skirts. Some people even add a pair of white ankle socks or, on colder days, tights or stockings. Marc Jacobs, Suzanne Rae, Free People and ASOS are a few brands that carry the revitalized shoe style.

Now that you are aware of the trendy transitional staples for the upcoming fall season, grab these items ASAP. Go through that closet, see what you need to add to your wardrobe and treat yourself to a (virtual) shopping spree.